How To Choose New Flooring Like A Pro!
Answers to My Carpet Buying Quiz
1. Do you know which padding to use for your home?
Which padding is the best deal?
2. Here are some common features padding may have for an extra charge. Do you know what benefits they provide? Which of these features do you think are worth paying extra for?
3. Do you know what padding Density to choose?
4. Do you know what thickness of pad is required?
5. Do you know about carpet fibers? Which fiber is most resilient?
6. There are different ways to make carpet. Would you choose a continuous filament fiber or go with a staple fiber?
Continuous filament is the smart way to go. Carpets made with a staple fiber (short lengths of fiber) are prone to shedding and fuzzing. That means you would be vacuuming up bag after bag of carpet fibers. It is not fun, and it makes your carpet look horrible. Shedding and fuzzing can continue up to one year after installation.
Carpet Care and Maintenance
How you care for your carpet will determine how long it will last.
7. How many people live in your home?
8. How many days per week do you vacuum on average?
7 & 8, Rule of thumb, vacuum as many times per week as you have people living in your home.
9. Do you have a good vacuum with a beater bar?
10. How often do you have your carpet professionally cleaned?
11. Do you keep all the receipts for the professional cleanings?
12. Do you know what the following carpet definitions / conditions mean? Which of these conditions are covered by the manufacturer's warranty?
NONE of the above
Even though you may or may not know what these terms mean, in most cases, none of these common carpet problems are covered by the typical manufacturer’s warranty. Read your carpet warranty to find out what is covered and for how long.
13. Have you visited the website of "The Carpet and Rug Institute"? (www.carpet-rug.org)
14. Are you familiar with the requirements set forth in "The Carpet & Rug Institute's Standard 105 for Residential Installation"?
15. Do you know which manufacturer's warranties apply to your particular carpet?
16. If some of your carpet is found to be defective and you file a valid claim with the carpet manufacturer, what do you think will typically happen next?
17. What is the best day to have your new carpet delivered to your home:
18. What is the best climate to have your carpet installed
19. What should do you do before the carpet installer begins to install your new carpet?
All of the above. It pays to have your eyes and ears open and be aware of what is going on in your home at all times.
20. What do you do after the carpet installer is finished installing your carpet?
The installer is to remove all scraps, haul them away, vacuum and finish job completely before you make the final payment. Carpet seams that look bad today, will look just as bad in a week or two. Don't let the installer convince you that the carpet seams will look better once the carpet has had time to settle in. Fix all problems right now, before you make final payment or withhold until you are completely satisfied.
Print out my Free Carpet Installation Inspection Checklist
So how did you do?
Did you learn something? I have made this quiz an informative aspect of my website because I want you to learn what you need to know about buying carpet. There is so much more information you need to know before you spend a dime on carpet.
The important thing right now is that you do your homework before you buy carpet. If you learned something by taking this short quiz, then it should be a wake-up call for you. The questions on this quiz are the easy ones. It gets harder to make the right choices. Carpet scams are everywhere.
Most people really think they know enough to buy carpet wisely, but few really do. Some people put their trust in the hands of carpet salespeople. This is a common mistake. I get emails all the time from consumers who took the advice of a salesperson only to get burned.
Carpet is a major purchase! Don't take chances. If you make just one simple mistake in your carpet purchase, you stand to lose hundreds of dollars or worse. You must choose a carpet that meets your needs and lifestyle. Your home must be measured accurately, you must use the correct pad, you must have your carpet installed correctly, you must follow your carpet warranty requirements and you need to get a Good deal for the whole job.
©2023 Alan Fletcher - All Rights Reserved.
All content is the opinion of the author.