After 30+ years in the business, I'm sharing my knowledge and experience with homeowners who want to choose wisely, avoid scams and get qualified installs from a reputable dealer.
"How To Choose New Flooring Like A Pro"
Carpet | Pad | Installation | LVP | Forms | Best Dealers
Why is Choosing New Carpet so Confusing?
Unscrupulous Carpet retailers are fully aware that most consumers don't know much about selecting carpet. They also don't want to take the time to educate you, and they certainly don't want you to ask too many questions.
What do they want you to do? They just want you to choose a carpet and write a check for the full amount of the project without comparison shopping anywhere else. Here are just a few of the ways that you could become a victim of a carpet scam by an UNSCRUPULOUS carpet retailer or carpet salesperson.
Un·scru·pu·lous: Not honest or fair: doing things that are wrong, dishonest, or illegal.
1. Unscrupulous Carpet retailers can very easily overcharge you for materials and labor. This can easily add hundreds to the cost of your new carpet. You would never know you were over charged unless you know the trick to safeguarding yourself from this common type of scam. How to Avoid Carpet Scams
2. Unscrupulous Carpet salespeople often recommend unsuitable products. There are always sales contests and other promotions where salespeople can will a trip if they sell enough of a certain type of product.
What they suggest you buy may not be what you need. Buy the wrong carpet and you are throwing your hard-earned money away.
When your new carpet start looking worn out and matted down, you'll find that the warranty does not cover that type of damage. When you call the carpet dealer to complain they will not help you. What Grade of Carpet Should I Select?
3. Unscrupulous Carpet Manufacturers often fail to provide easy-to-understand, clear and complete product information. They want you to buy their products based on their well-advertised brand name. Some mills won't even tell you any specifics about their products even if you call the manufacturer directly. They just won't tell you. Why not? They don't want you to have an easy time comparison shopping. They don't want you to shop around. You need to learn how to overcome this. Best and Worst Carpet Retailers 2021
4. Most Carpet Manufacturers today make it easy for larger carpet retailers to implement a private-labeling system to discourage and prevent consumers from comparison shopping. This means you will see different style names or color names/numbers on the exact same carpets offered by competing carpet retailers.
What does this mean to you? If you find a carpet you like at one carpet retailer, you can't just call around to see what the same exact carpet might cost at other nearby carpet retailers. Why do they use private labeling? Once again, they don't want you to have an easy time comparison shopping and they don't want you to shop around for the best price. I will help you avoid this scam. Carpet Specifications - Face Weight, Pile Density, Tuft Twist
5. Unscrupulous carpet retailers often fail to disclose second-grade or defective material information to you.
Retailers often buy second-grade carpet and flooring products from the manufacturer, at a huge discount. They may display many rolls of carpet "seconds" in their warehouse. You can save money buying second grade products, but you need to know what you are buying. There are a hundred different reasons why a roll of carpet can be deemed defective by the manufacturer.
Carpet salespeople may not tell you what the defect is with a particular roll of carpet, in fact they might not even know themselves. In most cases, you won't discover the actual defect until after the carpet has been installed. There is no manufacturer warranty on second-quality carpets. Carpet Cost and Comparison 2021
6. Most Carpet Manufacturers fail to provide readily available, clear and concise, easy to understand warranty and claims information. Good luck filing a valid warranty claim, as they have strict requirements. Read any new carpet warranty and you will see what I mean.
When you file a carpet warranty claim, the first question they will ask...
1.) Did you have your carpets cleaned regularly and keep all your carpet cleaning receipts as proof?
If your answer is no, your warranty claim will be denied. Learn what do you need to do to protect your investment.
7. Most Carpet Manufacturers do not provide true-to-life carpet wear rating values or detailed specifications. This information should be readily available. based on various and diverse types of consumer applications, instead of the current rating values based on a typical "family of four" scenario. How to avoid the manufacturer's flawed carpet rating system trap. What is the PAR Carpet Rating System?
Now remember, not all carpet stores are unscrupulous. There are plenty of honest and reputable carpet stores to buy from, but it's difficult to tell the good ones from the bad ones. That's why I created my Preferred Carpet Dealer Directory.
Facebook Twitter Sitemap Email
©2023 Alan Fletcher - All Rights Reserved.
All content is the opinion of the author.